måndag 10 september 2012

New acquisitions, G&S and Stephen Deas

I picked up my most recent purchases yesterday. No thundering rains or hurricane-like winds this time around which was a nice change, and as usual I can't wait to get into the lot of them! Sadly, it means my pile is growing at a faster pace than which I can read.
I've been toying with the idea of not visiting as many review blogs and what not for a while, so I won't be seduced into going after more books! I'm also way behind in my reviewing. I need to finish up a new version of the Orb, Sceptre, Throne review that I/blogspot managed to erase as well as get going with the Scourge of the Betrayer notes that I haven't really looked through.

A friend got me started on the Geek and Sundry youtube cast, and while I've only gotten through the first episode; The Story Board, Episode 1: Urban Fantasy, Threat or Menace? I'm positively surprised. Good to see some insightful discussion on plot and settings from working writers and a couple of good shout outs/recommendations. Check them out if you haven't.

I'm now about 130-something pages into The Adamantine Palace and Sollos and Kemir is growing on me. They're a pair reminiscent of many of Steven Erikson's dynamic duos with witty dialogue and good stagesetting.  I'm expecting a lot from Deas now, feel his style is somewhat reminiscent of Erikson's as a whole as well, much more so than other touted heirs Durham and Kearney. You're pretty much thrust into the setting and plot without much background, and I think (as long as you're not overwhelmed) it's something that works for him.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar